miércoles, 30 de diciembre de 2009

Fortune Cookies

The idea of making fortune cookies just came out of the blue...and as soon as I got that idea I started to look for the messages that was gonna put inside them...quite a challenge I must say...cause me and my sister had to look for over 80 messages!!....well, we were very picky, but it was definitely worth it, every minute we spent searching and writing and also baking, cause they were a hit at new year's eve...after 12 o`clock we all opened our cookies and saw our future comming ahaha.
We cut pink, green and blue papers....the pink papers were only about love, the green ones about money and the blue ones about health and some other stuff....they turned the perfect tradition for the new year, so I'll be making them year after year, but of course I'll be updating them...for next year I plan to dip them in chocolate.....only the tips....but for now I'll introduce to you my fortune cookies recipe, hope you make this a new tradition too!

These are the ingredients: (makes about 80 fortune cookies)
- 3 cups flour
- 1 cup butter, cold
- 1 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1/2 cup warm milk
- Fortune messages (if you want my opinion you should look for the messages one day ahead, because they can take a while)

- Preheat your oven at 392º (200ºC), and butter your pan, set aside.
- In a medium bowl mix butter and sugar until creamy, then add the egg and the sifted flour, finally add milk until you get a dough that doesn't stick to your fingers.
- Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and let it chill in the fridge for about 30 minutes or until firm,
- Roll out the dough until it is about 1/4 inch thick, and cut circles with a glass or a cookie cutter.

- Put the message in the center of the cookie (you can fold it as I did, or place a longer message, as I did later and think its better).
- Then fold the cookie into half and press the edges so it won't open in the oven.
- Press the middle of the cookie to fold it in half again.
- Finally fold the cookie until the corners meet.

-Place the cookies in the buttered pan, at a small distance between one another, since they barely increase their volume, and bake them for about 6 to 8 minutes, or until they are slightly golden.

And done! Happy baking =)

No hay comentarios: